Evil that Returns

Onwards into Khorvaire, Part 2

2010-10-14 21:28:10.990 DM: As you cross onto the docks, you are met by a harried-looking overweight
human.
2010-10-14 21:28:41.416 Dockmaster: “Who the bloody hell are you, and what is your reason for coming to Flamekeep?”
2010-10-14 21:28:58.167 Ironbrow crosses its arms.
2010-10-14 21:29:26.719 Ironbrow: "We are carrying refugees and survivors from Zilargo. What is going on
here?"
2010-10-14 21:30:03.821 DM: The man deflates.
2010-10-14 21:31:04.902 Dockmaster: “Oh. Zilargo got it even worse than we did, I hear.”
2010-10-14 21:31:56.004 Dockmaster: “Four days ago, Karrnath’s undead armies crossed our borders and started taking towns. They’re not responding to any diplomatic overtures and we’re not sure what’s going on. I thought you might have been with them….your ship looks a little heavily armed for ordinary travelers.”
2010-10-14 21:32:14.006 Ironbrow: "Are you sure they were Karrnath troops?"
2010-10-14 21:33:07.409 Dockmaster: “I suppose someone could have dressed them up in old Karrnathi uniforms, but if they weren’t, then why wouldn’t we have heard back from the envoys we had at Karrnath?”
2010-10-14 21:33:42.389 Ironbrow: "We may know why. It is imperative that we speak to some authority figure.
Who should we seek out?"
2010-10-14 21:34:50.867 Dockmaster: “Hmm….most of them are out organizing the evacuation or defenses now…but I’m sure if you head to the Temple someone will know more.”
2010-10-14 21:35:03.318 DM: (The way he says Temple, it is obviously capitalized.)
2010-10-14 21:35:51.121 Ironbrow nods. “What do we owe for a docking fee?”
2010-10-14 21:36:27.648 Dockmaster: “Fifteen gold, unless you’re carrying trade goods. Then we’d have to inspect and tariff as appropriate.”
2010-10-14 21:36:52.874 Ironbrow: "Nothing we intend to trade. Supplies for our voyage and defense."
2010-10-14 21:37:23.601 Dockmaster: “Just the fifteen then.”
2010-10-14 21:38:47.781 Morthos: "sir, has there been anything unusual going on near the city center?"
2010-10-14 21:39:33.059 Dockmaster: “No, not that I’m aware of. The Temple dominates that whole area, and I’m sure the priests would have done something about it if anything were going on there.”
2010-10-14 21:40:25.662 Ironbrow: "We’ll check it out. Thank you."
2010-10-14 21:40:42.913 DM: He nods and heads off to continue his work.
2010-10-14 21:41:18.990 DM: (Heading towards the Temple?)
2010-10-14 21:41:20.815 Ironbrow: (Onward!)
2010-10-14 21:42:54.545 DM: As you walk out of the airship dock, it becomes obvious why the dockmaster
said that the Temple dominated the entire area. Properly named the
Cathedral of the Silver Flame, it is visible from just about anywhere in
the city, sitting on an enormous hilltop that appears to have been
flattened out just to support the enormous building. The massive
cathedral sports alabaster walls and flying buttresses adorned with
stained glass windows depicting religous and historical scenes. Icons,
angelic beings, and gargoyles adorn its entire exterior.
2010-10-14 21:45:47.330 DM: You walk through the streets and up the hill, passing through the massive
wooden doors which are wide open. Inside, the walls are black marble
inlaid with silver patterns. The nave is absurdly large; it appears that
it could hold nearly ten thousand people if they were good friends, or
nearly eight thousand comfortably. There are pews spread out in rows
among the supporting pillars, and balconies hanging just below the
clerestory. A raised area below the presbytery appears to be where a
choir would be held; the choirbox looks like it could hold a thousand
people alone.
2010-10-14 21:46:03.981 DM: Two enormous wooden doors make up the entire back wall, behind the
presbytory.
2010-10-14 21:47:05.184 Ironbrow: "Strange, this manner of worship."
2010-10-14 21:47:30.211 Jerric: "Well, just keep those comments to yourself while we’re here."
2010-10-14 21:49:08.467 DM: As your eyes adjust to seeing mundane details rather than sheer
immenseness, you notice that the doors at the back are guarded by four
knights in silver armor. Here and there, people are sitting on the pews
wieh their heads down. A man in robes is sitting in the presbytery.
2010-10-14 21:49:22.742 Morthos: "agreed, the silver flame don’t take kindly to criticism"
2010-10-14 21:50:01.646 Ironbrow: (The robed guy or the knights?)
2010-10-14 21:51:21.525 Jerric: (( As in, who should we approach? I would start with the man in the robes
))
2010-10-14 21:51:33.876 Ironbrow: (nod)
2010-10-14 21:52:10.180 Ironbrow: (Probably best if someone else talks to the religious guy. The godless
steampunk robot might not be the best here. :D)
2010-10-14 21:52:32.581 Ironbrow: (Also, justification for a bio.)
2010-10-14 21:53:33.885 Jerric takes the lead and walks over the man sitting in the presbytery
2010-10-14 21:53:46.435 DM: The man looks up as you approach.
2010-10-14 21:55:20.666 Jerric: "Greetings. We have information related to the chaos going on throughout
the world right now. Can you direct us to someone who could make good use
of it?"
2010-10-14 21:56:15.794 Priest: “Greetings, my son. May the blessing of the Flame be upon you this day. What sort of information do you have to share with us?”
2010-10-14 21:56:53.246 Priest: “I am Father Orleux (pronunciation: Or – loo), and if you carry important information, I will make sure it makes it to the proper people.”
2010-10-14 21:58:36.952 Jerric: "Nice to meet you, Father. I am Jerric, with me are…"
2010-10-14 21:58:52.053 Jerric turns and names his companions
2010-10-14 21:59:13.629 Orleux: “Blessings of the Flame be upon you all this day.”
2010-10-14 22:00:01.457 Jerric: (( So, do you want me to repeat the relevant information? I wonder how
many info dumps we’ve done by now >_> ))
2010-10-14 22:00:11.283 DM: (Nah, just summarize what you tell him.)
2010-10-14 22:00:23.509 DM: (For example, "I say what happened in Zilargo")
2010-10-14 22:01:10.737 Morthos rolls Skill Arcane/History/Religion (d20 + 15): 20 + 15 = 35
2010-10-14 22:01:47.114 Jerric: (( Not sure if I even remember everything. The rakshasa, the orb, Nakas ))
2010-10-14 22:02:30.116 Jerric: (( I should re-read what the dragon told us ))
2010-10-14 22:02:40.792 Jerric: (( What he said ))
2010-10-14 22:06:10.829 DM: (So you’re basically telling him everything? Sorry for delay, I was
hurling walls of text at Morthos in response to his nat 20)
2010-10-14 22:07:15.708 Jerric: (( Do we have a reason to keep anything? I don’t think anything can be
used against us, but… ))
2010-10-14 22:07:51.486 Ironbrow: (( Not that I can think of, I mean, we’re at the point where withholding
information might cause our potential allies to mistrust us when they find
out. ))
2010-10-14 22:08:32.713 Jerric: (( So yeah, going with full disclosure ))
2010-10-14 22:08:51.141 DM: (Ok then. A half hour of Jerric expositioning later…)
2010-10-14 22:09:45.194 Orleux: “Hmmm….interesting. This would explain much, if true. I am somewhat at a loss, though; while it is certainly good to know these things, it does not much help us with our current problem.”
2010-10-14 22:10:20.874 Orleux: “Whether Karrnath has been taken over, or attacked on their own, or these are merely facsimilies and our communication lines have been severed for different purposes, we still have an army of undead marching on our land.”
2010-10-14 22:10:43.326 Ironbrow: "So you are evacuating the city? It has no defenses against the undead?"
2010-10-14 22:11:38.179 Orleux: “We are evacuating noncombatants. While we do not expect the city to fall, we see no reason to risk their lives needlessly. Should the worst happen, they will already be safe.”
2010-10-14 22:12:07.355 Orleux: “Furthermore, the evacuation is voluntary. Anyone who wishes to stay and do what they might is welcome.”
2010-10-14 22:13:47.486 Ironbrow: "Is there a single direction from which the undead are approaching?"
2010-10-14 22:14:52.165 Orleux: “Their main force is to the northeast. Groups split off here and there, but that is where they came from. Their first incursion was on our northeast shore of the lake.”
2010-10-14 22:18:37.283 Jerric: "Well, we came to pass along the information with the hope it could be
sent along to the other nations of Khorvaire. This evil is too strong for
each to fend for themselves, so we were hoping it could be used to help
form alliances."
2010-10-14 22:19:30.786 Jerric: "Diplomacy is not our specialty, so we plan to head into other dangerous
parts of the world to do what more investigation and purging we can."
2010-10-14 22:20:27.764 Orleux: “We appreciate your information, and we will send messengers as we can to ensure that others learn of it. Such an evil should be stood against by all righteous men.”
2010-10-14 22:20:54.369 Orleux: “I merely regret that at the moment, Thrane is too busy defending our people to attempt to help others or to mount an offensive.”
2010-10-14 22:21:00.844 Jerric nods
2010-10-14 22:21:05.094 Jerric: "That is understandable."
2010-10-14 22:22:47.125 Jerric: "Well that was our business. I thank you for your time and wish you
success in your defenses."
2010-10-14 22:23:22.577 Orleux: “Good luck to you in your journeys as well. Go with the Flame.”
2010-10-14 22:23:55.329 Jerric turns to his companions and heads for the exit
2010-10-14 22:24:06.130 Ironbrow follows.
2010-10-14 22:24:30.506 Ironbrow: "It may be possible to find out whether Karrnath is truly behind this. If
the matter can be cleared up, we may gain both countries’ aid."
2010-10-14 22:24:41.207 DM: As you walk out, Father Orleux pulls out a book and a quill and begins
scribbling. It looks like he’s writing down what you told him.
2010-10-14 22:25:50.560 Morthos: "anyone mind if we find the local library?"
2010-10-14 22:26:19.812 Ironbrow: "Shouldn’t be a problem, we’re waiting for the ship to be fixed."
2010-10-14 22:27:00.489 Morthos: "Also, I have some less than ideal news"
2010-10-14 22:27:01.040 Jerric: "Right. Buuut, I think I’ll go find someplace to get an ale."
2010-10-14 22:27:24.416 Jerric: "Is it great news, that happens to not be ideal?"
2010-10-14 22:27:52.092 Morthos: "bad news on top of a bad situation"
2010-10-14 22:28:20.469 Morthos: "that church is spewing over with blood magic"
2010-10-14 22:28:32.495 Morthos: "the same type of magic in the fountains of trollanport"
2010-10-14 22:28:57.871 Ironbrow stops in its tracks.
2010-10-14 22:29:39.049 Morthos: "the amount in the church is vastly more than the fountains aswell"
2010-10-14 22:29:58.600 Jerric: "Are you saying that you suspect everyone in it? Or why not mention it
before?"
2010-10-14 22:31:19.004 Morthos: "To be honest I’m not sure what I suspect right now but it didn’t seem
wise to mention it inside the church. If it is as bad as I fear it could
we don’t need the church knowing that we know"
2010-10-14 22:31:25.430 Morthos: be
2010-10-14 22:32:08.557 Jerric: "So what’s our plan of action?"
2010-10-14 22:34:30.315 Morthos: "I need to do a bit of research. If you want to meet at a pub after I
finish that works for me"
2010-10-14 22:35:16.093 Ironbrow: "If there is a risk here, none of us should travel alone. I will accompany
Morthos, Lanley can go with you, Jerric. I am sure he would enjoy a drink
as well."
2010-10-14 22:35:26.893 DM: Lanley smiles.
2010-10-14 22:35:27.668 Ironbrow: "Dorvak as well."
2010-10-14 22:35:31.744 Lanley: “Can’t argue with that plan.”
2010-10-14 22:35:59.570 Dorvak: “I think it’s worth going and checking on the ship’s repairs. I can meet Jerric and Lanley after I do that.”
2010-10-14 22:36:48.073 Ironbrow nods.
2010-10-14 22:37:06.452 DM: So: The party splits up to go to their seperate places, and each group
meets a dozen dragons and dies.
2010-10-14 22:37:10.752 DM: I mean, gets where they were going.
2010-10-14 22:37:23.803 Ironbrow: (Those are not the same thing. Remotely.)
2010-10-14 22:37:34.154 DM: (Never split the party! Dozen dragons each!)
2010-10-14 22:37:47.129 DM: At the library…
2010-10-14 22:38:09.481 Morthos: I’m looking for the most recent books I can find on the silver flame"
2010-10-14 22:38:12.456 DM: Arcane, History, and Perception checks can help you find books on topics
you are searching for.
2010-10-14 22:38:34.107 Ironbrow: (I can assist as necessary. I’m a big metal librarian’s assistant.)
2010-10-14 22:38:53.233 DM: Feel free to either use Aid Another or make independent checks.
2010-10-14 22:39:06.759 Ironbrow rolls Skill: History (d20 + 13): 2 + 13 = 15
2010-10-14 22:39:17.235 Ironbrow: (Assisting unless specifically asked otherwise.)
2010-10-14 22:39:55.137 Morthos rolls Skill Arcane/History/Religion (d20 + 15): 7 + 15 = 22
2010-10-14 22:40:17.163 DM: The first few books you find have nothing useful to you.
2010-10-14 22:41:01.116 Morthos: I’m looking specifically for books containing rumors or conspiracy theories
2010-10-14 22:41:04.741 Morthos rolls Skill Arcane/History/Religion (d20 + 15): 13 + 15 = 28
2010-10-14 22:41:20.167 Morthos: maybe dissenters of the church
2010-10-14 22:41:30.742 DM: Good old Heretic section.
2010-10-14 22:41:42.068 Ironbrow: (Every respectable library has one.)
2010-10-14 22:43:32.274 DM: In this search, Morthos has found a book which appears to fascinate him
very thoroughly. It is a nondescript brown leather book with no
distinguishing markings of any kind.
2010-10-14 22:47:46.843 Morthos: Ironbrow, we’re done here if you are ready
2010-10-14 22:47:54.418 Ironbrow nods. “Did you learn anything?”
2010-10-14 22:48:08.769 Morthos: "I did"
2010-10-14 22:48:41.896 DM: Teleportation to the inn, where Dorvak, Lanley, and Jerric have been
eating lunch.
2010-10-14 22:49:08.847 DM: (And by ‘teleportation’, I mean not just scene change, but that Morthos
and Ironbrow finished walking there and everyone is in one place again.)
2010-10-14 22:49:56.250 Dorvak: “Welcome back Morthos and Ironbrow! Sonn said he can get the ship as good as new in two days.”
2010-10-14 22:50:05.151 Morthos: "That is good news"
2010-10-14 22:50:56.479 Morthos: "Do any of you remember the name of our Rakshasha friend or his number?
They seem to have escaped me"
2010-10-14 22:51:14.280 Ironbrow: "Oadin Nakas, Third of Two Hundred."
2010-10-14 22:51:26.130 Morthos: "Right, thanks"
2010-10-14 22:53:23.737 Morthos: "Well in any case, I found a talk of a theory that another Rakshasha named
Bel Shalor, 7 of 200, was once imprisoned under the city but has found an
escape into the silver flame and can speak through it"
2010-10-14 22:53:54.414 Ironbrow: "Into the flame? Is it not the very foundation of their religion?"
2010-10-14 22:54:15.665 Morthos: "yes, that is my understanding"
2010-10-14 22:55:48.199 Morthos: "so this Bel Shalor could have a huge degree of influence over the church"
2010-10-14 22:56:27.777 DM: And on that note, I believe we’ll call it for tonight.
2010-10-14 22:56:51.503 Ironbrow: Damn rakshasas getting their messed up backwards hands into everyone’s pie!
2010-10-14 22:57:26.530 DM: Stupid dragons and couatl! Why couldn’t they have made a binding that
would last more than 100,000 years! I can do that with my eyes closed!
2010-10-14 22:57:41.181 Morthos: seriously, bunch of fucking lazy douches
2010-10-14 22:58:18.858 Jerric: And what are they doing now? Sitting in some dinky cavern on some god
forsaken continent
2010-10-14 22:58:56.387 Ironbrow: Reading porn. Seriously, that’s not a Prophecy they’re deciphering.
2010-10-14 22:58:58.512 DM: It’s true, the ancient godlike good beings just sit there and laugh while
they watch you fight the ancient godlike evil beings.
2010-10-14 22:59:50.215 DM: However, there is a good thing here.
2010-10-14 23:00:00.691 DM: The party has reached level 12 from plot XP.
2010-10-14 23:00:10.666 Ironbrow: woot
2010-10-14 23:00:12.016 Morthos: word
2010-10-14 23:00:34.368 Morthos: night everyone
2010-10-14 23:00:41.493 DM: Later
2010-10-14 23:00:41.893 Morthos has left the session
2010-10-14 23:00:49.672 Disconnected.

Comments

ankiyavon

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.