Evil that Returns

Onwards into Khorvaire, Part 5

2010-10-28 21:50:02.598 Ironbrow: (Maybe the torch outside needs flame touched to it?)
2010-10-28 21:50:15.074 Jerric: (( Seems likely to me ))
2010-10-28 21:50:43.125 Jerric: (( Well, somehow "light" that flame ))
2010-10-28 21:51:24.153 Ironbrow: (Can I make a religion check to see if there are any phrases or rites
common to Silver Flamers (hur hur hur) that might apply to something like
this?)
2010-10-28 21:51:41.054 DM: (Indeed.)
2010-10-28 21:51:48.554 Ironbrow rolls d20 + 10: (4) + 10 = 14
2010-10-28 21:51:57.855 Ironbrow: (Man, we’re rolling crap tonight. :D)
2010-10-28 21:53:14.184 Ironbrow: "The only religious phrase that I know might apply to those who worship
the Silver Flame is "Walk with the Flame.""
2010-10-28 21:53:39.210 DM: (PS – Nothing happens.)
2010-10-28 21:53:50.661 Ironbrow frowns and crosses its arms.
2010-10-28 21:54:58.940 Ironbrow: (I’m out of ideas, any thoughts?)
2010-10-28 21:55:59.669 Jerric: (( We haven’t tried doing anything to the flame outside? ))
2010-10-28 21:56:05.894 Jerric: (( Or torch, rather ))
2010-10-28 21:56:28.095 Ironbrow: (Let’s try tapping the real torch we have to the graven one outside, with
the phrase.)
2010-10-28 21:57:13.823 Dorvak: “Morthos, can’t you change the color of things? Maybe we could get something to be silver”
2010-10-28 21:59:19.605 Morthos: "I can"
2010-10-28 22:00:10.833 Ironbrow: "It’s worth trying on this torch."
2010-10-28 22:01:40.463 Morthos casts Prestidigitation on the torch, turning it silver"
2010-10-28 22:02:06.664 DM: As Ironbrow holds up the silver torch, you can see a chunk of the wall
fade out.
2010-10-28 22:02:35.591 Ironbrow: "An illusion? Or a very clever use of discorporation magic and light."
2010-10-28 22:03:40.945 DM: Beyond the former wall, there is a passage, well-lit by silver torches
every thirty feet.
2010-10-28 22:04:41.948 Jerric: "If I had to guess, I’d say this is definitely part of the same passage.
They should connect somewhere."
2010-10-28 22:06:07.428 DM: The passage gently slopes upwards as it continues on almost featurelessly.
2010-10-28 22:07:43.884 DM: After an extended period of walking (about a half hour; the map is not to
scale), you come upon a wall and a door.
2010-10-28 22:08:01.660 DM: The wall is made of unmarked marble, seamless and smooth. The door has a
silver flame engraved in the center of it.
2010-10-28 22:09:06.646 Ironbrow: (Able to be opened the usual way?)
2010-10-28 22:09:15.997 DM: It certainly has no visible lock.
2010-10-28 22:09:44.374 Ironbrow: "Think it will respond to the flame?"
2010-10-28 22:09:50.874 Ironbrow holds up the torch to the door.
2010-10-28 22:09:59.024 DM: Nothing happens.
2010-10-28 22:10:02.675 Jerric: (( It’s just a door, right? ))
2010-10-28 22:10:29.276 DM: (While there are certainly reasons to think that the usual ‘grab it and
pull’ method might not work, you also have plenty of reasons to think that
such a method would work fine.)
2010-10-28 22:11:07.828 Ironbrow: (Oh, I misunderstood. Nevermind Ironbrow’s spontaneous Wrong Genre
Savviness.
2010-10-28 22:11:17.679 Ironbrow: ( /door )
2010-10-28 22:12:31.288 DM: Beyond the door, you can see a raised circular pedastal. On the pedastal,
there is a silver bonfire.
2010-10-28 22:13:18.695 DM: Beyond the silver bonfire, you can see two priests, two men in plate armor
with longsword + heavy shield, and three men in plate with greatswords.
They appear to be listening to a service given by the clerics.
2010-10-28 22:13:30.971 DM: You recognize the voice of Father Orleux, the priest you spoke to earlier,
as one of the clerics.
2010-10-28 22:13:46.196 DM: And now oog notage.
2010-10-28 22:14:04.172 DM: Actually, ignore that for now.
2010-10-28 22:14:05.598 DM: Carry on.
2010-10-28 22:14:15.048 DM: They do not appear to have noticed you.
2010-10-28 22:14:34.774 Morthos: "Think one of you can sneak in here to get a closer look?"
2010-10-28 22:15:03.501 Jerric: (( Which way are they all facing? ))
2010-10-28 22:15:30.752 DM: The knights are facing you, the clerics have their backs to you.
2010-10-28 22:16:05.862 DM: Oh. I missed a descriptive note.
2010-10-28 22:16:23.788 DM: One of the clerics (the female one who is not Father Orleux) has three
small silver fires orbiting her head.
2010-10-28 22:16:50.315 Ironbrow: (She doesn’t happen to be a young girl, does she?)
2010-10-28 22:17:01.916 DM: Young adult. 18-25 range.
2010-10-28 22:17:07.466 Ironbrow: (Okay, whew.)
2010-10-28 22:18:23.520 Ironbrow keeps its voice low. “Maybe we should listen and see what is going on before we interrupt with swords.”
2010-10-28 22:18:26.370 Jerric: (( Also, can we hear what they are saying from here? ))
2010-10-28 22:18:40.671 DM: That sounds like a request that can be answered with a perception check.
2010-10-28 22:19:04.973 DM: (Also move your pog to exactly where you’re standing, because distance
affects DC.)
2010-10-28 22:19:23.699 Jerric rolls Skill, Perception (d20 + 5 + 6 + 1): 15 + 5 + 6 + 1 = 27
2010-10-28 22:19:33.949 Jerric: (( That’s like what, my fourth 15 tonight? ))
2010-10-28 22:19:49.727 DM: Hey, 15’s a good roll.
2010-10-28 22:20:35.606 Jerric: (( I know, but just funny it’s the same exact one :P ))
2010-10-28 22:21:35.109 Jerric: "Sounds like a religious chant or something, not any exchange of
information."
2010-10-28 22:23:14.720 Ironbrow nods and frowns.
2010-10-28 22:23:58.401 Ironbrow: "Do you think that is… the Silver Flame? Or some manner of
replication?"
2010-10-28 22:24:25.678 Jerric shrugs
2010-10-28 22:25:36.908 Morthos rolls Skill Arcane/History/Religion (d20 + 15): 10 + 15 = 25
2010-10-28 22:25:43.633 Morthos rolls Skill Arcane/History/Religion (d20 + 15): 2 + 15 = 17
2010-10-28 22:25:43.908 Ironbrow: (bio afk, brb)
2010-10-28 22:26:07.485 Morthos rolls Skill Arcane/History/Religion (d20 + 15): 16 + 15 = 31
2010-10-28 22:26:16.210 Morthos has left the session
2010-10-28 22:26:17.410 Morthos has joined the session
2010-10-28 22:28:37.319 Ironbrow: (Back)
2010-10-28 22:29:16.547 Morthos: "This flame is a portal"
2010-10-28 22:29:58.999 Ironbrow: "Nakas used flame and smoke as a portal, did he not?"
2010-10-28 22:31:48.306 Morthos: "I believe he did"
2010-10-28 22:32:17.008 Jerric: "I remember the leftover mist from the fountain, you mean that?"
2010-10-28 22:32:59.236 Ironbrow: "I recall some of his agents engaging us after appearing in clouds of
flame. Then again, I’ve received great quantities of structural damage
since that time, so they may be fabricated memories."
2010-10-28 22:33:13.812 Ironbrow: "Regardless, I think now is a time for interrupting them."
2010-10-28 22:33:28.438 Jerric: "And say what?"
2010-10-28 22:33:55.315 Ironbrow: "Ask… for directions? Morthos, can you trace where that portal might
lead?"
2010-10-28 22:34:13.291 Morthos: "I could but I would need to be closer"
2010-10-28 22:34:52.593 Jerric: "Might it be better to wait and see if they send the knights through the
portal? All the better if we upset them."
2010-10-28 22:35:08.844 Ironbrow: "Good point."
2010-10-28 22:35:40.296 DM: (So waiting and watching?)
2010-10-28 22:35:46.021 Ironbrow: (For now, I think.)
2010-10-28 22:36:34.352 DM: After about ten more minutes of droning, repetitive chanting, the clerics
move to the sides of the pedastal and the knights begin arraying
themselves as for battle. Weapons at the ready, shields held high, etc.
2010-10-28 22:37:09.654 DM: The knights then form into a single-file line and begin walking into the
flame.
2010-10-28 22:38:08.688 Ironbrow: (Is there any horrible screaming?)
2010-10-28 22:38:14.963 DM: Nope.
2010-10-28 22:38:20.839 DM: They just walk into the flame and disappear.
2010-10-28 22:39:02.992 Ironbrow: "There is no sense behind dispatching troops when they are needed right
here."
2010-10-28 22:41:04.976 Jerric: "I don’t think they’ve reached here already? It may be merely sending them
to wherever the front lines are."
2010-10-28 22:42:13.305 Ironbrow: "Possibly."
2010-10-28 22:44:14.187 DM: After a few minutes, another group of knights walks into the room.
2010-10-28 22:45:00.417 Ironbrow: "What is the plan, then?"
2010-10-28 22:45:31.843 Jerric: "I don’t see anything suspicious here, really."
2010-10-28 22:46:22.621 Ironbrow: "In that case, we should leave before we are discovered."
2010-10-28 22:47:19.900 Jerric: (( Has the chanting begun yet? ))
2010-10-28 22:47:27.550 DM: Nope.
2010-10-28 22:47:29.775 Jerric: (( Or whatever he drones ))
2010-10-28 22:47:38.601 DM: He appears to be leafing through a book.
2010-10-28 22:48:28.228 Jerric: "Wait until he starts talking again, and…walk quietly."
2010-10-28 22:48:35.904 Jerric particularly eyes Dorvak and Ironbrow
2010-10-28 22:48:56.255 Ironbrow: (clank clank clank clank)
2010-10-28 22:48:58.730 Ironbrow waits.
2010-10-28 22:49:01.030 DM: Dorvak shrugs sheepishly.
2010-10-28 22:49:16.831 DM: After a few minutes, the droning begins again.
2010-10-28 22:50:16.085 Morthos rolls Skill- Perception/Bluff (d20 + 9): 11 + 9 = 20
2010-10-28 22:51:54.221 Morthos: "They are giving the last rites"
2010-10-28 22:52:16.423 Ironbrow: "Is it a sacrifice? Do they do that?"
2010-10-28 22:53:06.325 Morthos: "They say it when they expect to die, not normal battles"
2010-10-28 22:54:56.263 Ironbrow: (I’m torn here. In some respect I feel they’re sending out men needlessly
even if this isn’t some kind of evil horrible thing in disguise, but also
that we shouldn’t bite the hand of the hotel owner, as it were.)
2010-10-28 22:56:07.392 Jerric: (( I don’t think we have enough evidence to make a move, justifiably here
))
2010-10-28 22:56:48.444 DM: As it is now 10:56, we can leave off here, and you can have a whole week
to puzzle out what you want to do here.
2010-10-28 22:57:00.620 Ironbrow: Fair enough.
2010-10-28 22:57:12.370 Jerric: Ok, see you guys next week
2010-10-28 22:57:19.771 Unearthly has left the session
2010-10-28 22:57:23.998 Ironbrow: Have a good one.
2010-10-28 22:57:27.298 Your connection to the host was lost.
2010-10-28 22:57:27.301 Disconnected.

Comments

ankiyavon

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.